The camp is located at the Gates Group Campground in the French Meadows area of the Tahoe National Forest in California. At Auburn (north and east of Sacramento), take the Foresthill exit (#121) from I-80 and drive to Foresthill (16 miles). It is necessary to fill up with gas in either Auburn (usually cheaper) or Foresthill. As you enter Foresthill, turn right onto Mosquito Ridge Road 96; the sign posted reads "French Meadows - 36 miles". This takes you onto a long, winding mountain road.
Once you reach the reservoir, drive across the levee. Turn left toward the group campgrounds. Approximately 3.6 miles from the levee (after passing a boat ramp and the French Meadows campground), turn right on Road 68. (If you encounter the Coyote Campground, you've gone past the turn.) After approximately 0.5 miles up the hill, turn to the left and drive another 0.5 miles into the campground.
Registration is under the big canopy. Note that there are restrictions on where we can camp; upon arrival, ask a staff member before choosing a campsite to avoid having to move later.
The nearest airport is Sacramento International Airport (SMF). If you are arriving by plane, your options are to rent a car, to combine with others in renting a car, or signing up for ride sharing (scroll down for list). The best time to arrive for getting a ride is by 1:00 pm on Friday, July 12.
If you are traveling by bus or train, your options are to rent a car, to combine with others in renting a car, or signing up for ride sharing (scroll down for list).
If you are driving to camp and are willing to take passengers, let us know the number of passengers you can take and the route you will be taking. We ask riders to help pay travel costs. See the list below.
We also need to know your preference for connecting with passengers:
- give your phone number to prospective riders, for them to contact you.
- give the phone numbers of prospective riders to you, for you to contact them.
We do not give out your contact information unless we receive written (or verbal) authorization from you in advance.
Rides to and from Camp
Listed below are people seeking rides to and from the 2013 French Meadows Summer Camp.
Dates of camp: Saturday, July 13, 2013 to Sunday, July 21, 2013 (early arrival date of Friday, July 12 after 1:00 pm.)
We do not post contact information directly on the ride board.
When submitting an entry, let us know where you need a ride from and the dates Also indicate your preference for one of the following:
- provide my contact information to people who inquire, so they may contact me directly
- do not provide my contact information. If anyone inquires, we will pass on their contact information to you (if they OK us to provide it), so you can contact them.
If you find a ride, please notify us so we can remove your listing.
Rides to Camp
1. Gretchen Collins needs a from the Sacramento (SMF) airport to camp after 10 am on Friday July 12.
2. Susanna Melkonian and Florence Lisner need a ride from the Sacramento (SMF) airport to camp on Friday July 12.
3. Barbara, Daniel, and Emma (6) Hawley need a ride from the Sacramento (SMF) ariport to camp around 2 pm, July 12.
Rides from Camp
1. Gretchen Collins needs a ride from camp back to the Bay Area (any Bart Station) at the conclusion of camp on Sunday, July 21. Flexible.
2. Susanna Melkonian and Florence Lisner need a ride from camp back to the Sacramento (SMF) airport on Sunday July 21.
3. Barbara, Daniel, and Emma (6) Hawley need a ride from camp back to the Sacramento (SMF) ariport on Sunday July 21.