Getting Started with Macrobiotics
Here are some ideas for getting started or for improving a macrobiotic practice.
1. If you know nothing (or very little) about macrobiotics, scroll down and read the articles in the Beginning Series and read Essential Guide to Macrobiotics by Carl Ferré. Then, see the list in #4 for additional book ideas.
3. Begin a Membership of the George Ohsawa Macrobiotic Foundation. This will give you a subscription to Macrobiotics Today magazine—the only magazine dedicated exclusively to providing macrobiotic news and information. Save money with our digital edition. Sample articles may be found in the Macrobiotics Today section.
4. Here are the books we recommend for a basic macrobiotic library. Most are offered as a low-cost PDF download.
- Essential Guide to Macrobiotics by Carl Ferré – Simplify macrobiotic theory and discover how it applies to your life.
- Macrobiotics: An Invitation to Health and Happiness by George Ohsawa and Herman Aihara – One of the first introductory macrobiotic titles.
- Basic Macrobiotic Cooking by Julia Ferré – Lots of easy recipes with advice on what to buy and where to buy it.
- French Meadows Cookbook by Julia Ferre – Popular recipes from the French Meadows Summer Camp.
- Essential Ohsawa by George Ohsawa, edited by Carl Ferré – The best book of Ohsawa writings.
- Acid and Alkaline, 5th Edition by Herman Aihara – Herman's groundbreaking book, more meaningful now than ever.
- Food and Intuition 101: Awakening Intuition by Julia Ferré – Julia's newest title, already a best seller!
- Acid Alkaline Companion by Carl Ferré – Simplified chemistry and many useful tables.
If you have trouble opening any of the .pdf files, click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once downloaded, double-click on the file to install the Reader. You can then download and view any .pdf file.
Beginning Series by Julia Ferré
What Can Macrobiotics Do For You?
Macrobiotics can change your life. It can help you feel better and awaken new awareness. Many people attest to the trasformation they experience. Some people use macrobiotics to heal from illness...Other people talk of spirituality...Still others use macrobiotics to promote peace.... <READ MORE>
What is Macrobiotics?
A macrobiotic diet is one a person can adopt for a long time—for some people, a lifetime—as a means to improve quality of life. One of the underlying premises is that quality food creates health, health creates vitality, and vitality creates freedom—freedom from disease, freedom from pain, freedom to have peace of mind.... <READ MORE>
Where's the Nutrition?
If I’ve been asked once I’ve been asked a hundred times, “Where do you get protein?” or, Where do you get calcium?” To be fair, the questions arise less these days as less people rely on animal foods for protein or calcium. Nevertheless the question remains, “Does a macrobiotic diet supply adequate nutrition?"... <READ MORE>
Does Macrobiotics Heal Disease?
Macrobiotics is a tool, a way to rejuvenate, an application of ideas that help individuals become strong. This is where healing occurs. Healing happens from internal strength and power—some call it the immune system; some call it constitutional fortitude; some call it the grace of God.... <READ MORE>
What is the Philosophy of Macrobiotics?
Philosophy is the driving force behind macrobiotics. It provides meaning for how to live, inspiration to change perspective and habits, and impetus to do certain things and to avoid other things. It may seem—at first glance—that macrobiotics is only about diet, yet macrobiotics is more than food just as yoga is more than exercise.... <READ MORE>
Macrobiotics Beyond Food
Okay, I admit it—this series is more than a way to spell out why macrobiotics is other than diet. Sure, these six installments offer answers to questions about macrobiotics and hopefully enlighten and inform. However, one of my goals is to share my love of great macrobiotic books.... <READ MORE>